Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Why I'm Thankful for Tom Cruise and to a lessor extent Val Kilmer

Like a good portion of Americans, how many I couldn't say nor would I want to venture a guess or guesstimate or any other measuring verbiage, I have been sorta keeping an eye on this election thing that's about to go down in November.  In the mean time we get the obligatory pre-fight trash talk, like this November will be promoted by Don King (no relation to my doctor).  

So if you've been paying attention Obama is apparently a terrorist sympathizer and McCain is a mummy Karl Rove raised from the dead while on an expedition in Egypt.  Somehow Sarah Palin was caught up in the mess.  Apparently someone thought she was a politician.  And then we have Joe Biden, the man with the creepiest grin in Washington.  But I don't want to pick on Joey B too much since he is having some family troubles right now.

I always used campaign ads as an example of pathos (appealing to emotion in argument) when I was still teaching.  It's unfortunate that I do not have a few classes this year as the ads have been the proverbial (and stereotypical) gold mine.  I'm still waiting for the "Obama: he has giant ears, but is he ready to lead?"  Or maybe "John McCain has a plan for the economy.  All newly homeless people can make camp under his jowls."  But one part of John McCain's whole platform really has me a little creeped out.  It's not his fault and maybe it's just me but there is definitely something to be said about signifiers and the signified.

Basically what I take issue with is John McCain and Sarah Palin's self-referential use of the term maverick.  I'm not saying that politically either one is or isn't.  Frankly I could not care less.  It is the word itself.

Flashback to the 1980s for a second.  Leg warmers, New Coke, so on, so forth.  (If you haven't seen I love the 80s by now it's your loss.)  One of the most popular movies of the time was Top Gun.  You probably remember singing along to "You've Lost that Loving Feeling" with Tom in the bar scene.  Or maybe you cried when Goose died.  Or maybe still you remember thinking "why the hell are we fighting a handful of Russian planes?  Are we in some sort of trouble?"

But for me this movie holds a different memory.  It was the first, and really only, time I have heard the word maverick . . . until now.  Something went horribly wrong in my brain because now if I try to picture the movie everything is fine until a scene with Tom Cruise is recalled then, BAM, jump cut to John McCain in the role of Maverick.  Stuffed into a flight suit.  Crooning at the bar to attract a would-be sexual encounter.  Playing topless beach volleyball.  

It really is upsetting.  Of course it doesn't end there.  Sarah Palin would have to be Goose which I guess makes Obama Ice Man, Maverick's nemesis.  I imagine McCain and Palin walking shoulder to shoulder on a flight deck reciting, in unison, "I feel the need, the need for speed," before limping into a Lincoln Town Car and going 45 on the highway.  That's an age joke.  

Palin as Goose is a good fit though.  They are interchangeable.  Both with an "aw shucks, golly gee," sort of disposition which, coincidentally, makes me want to vomit.  Even Obama as Ice Man works.  The young hot shot . . . etc, whatever else...I can't remember too much about Val Kilmer in the film.  Of course then you have Viper who is sort of the boss of both Maverick and Ice Man so, to continue to merge reality and art, I guess, since both Obama and McCain are senators, Nancy Pelosi would be Viper.

Side note, the only black dude in the movie was named Sundown...not very subtle.  Why night Blackman or Midnight or Film Noir?  

So now I have this cast of politicians invading my memories of a movie I've never even liked which then makes me like it even less.  But I know, and this is my saving grace, that Tom Cruise was Maverick, whether I can picture it that way or not.  I hate Tom but I'd rather see him playing topless beach volleyball then Johnny Mac.  Palin on the other hand . . . .

PS At Blog's End fans, due to popular demand you should now be able to post comments.  Try it and let me know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, what's up with the references to the topless volleyball scenes. Was that your favorite part?

My-Cow-El said...

My favorite part was the credits rolling.

Anonymous said...

sure it was, mike. I believe you.

Where's a new post?

My-Cow-El said...

Busy. New post coming soon.